As a follower of Jesus I see these spiritual essentials help to answer the question of who is Jesus and who Jesus taught us to be. We follow a Cosmic or Universal Christ who gives these fruits of the Holy Spirit.
1)The universe is fundamentally a blessing.
Our relationship with the Universe fills us with awe.
2) In Creation, God is both immanent and transcendent.
Called panentheism, which is not theism (God out there) and not atheism (no God anywhere) it simply means that the Divine is in all things & all things are in the Divine. Please don’t confuse it with panthiesm, which means that God is everything. There is Jewish which says something to the effect, ‘God made room in God’s self for creation.’ I love that!
3) God is as much Mother as Father, as much Child as Parent, as much God in mystery as the God in history, as much beyond all words and images as in all forms and beings.
We are liberated from the need to cling to God in one form or one literal name.
4) In our lives, it is through the work of spiritual practice that we find our deep and true selves.
Through the arts of meditation and silence we cultivate a clarity of mind, a letting go of ego and false self, and move beyond fear into compassion and community.
5) Our inner work can be understood as a four-fold journey involving:
– awe, delight, amazement (known as the Via Positiva)
– uncertainty, darkness, suffering, letting go (Via Negativa)
– birthing, creativity, passion (Via Creativa)
– justice, healing, celebration (Via Transformativa)
We weave through these paths like a spiral danced, not a ladder climbed. Through this process we become co-creators with God. Please click here for a more through understanding of the four paths.
6) Every one of us is a mystic.
We can enter the mystical as much through beauty (Via Positiva) as through contemplation and suffering (Via Negativa). We are born full of wonder and can recover it at any age.
7) Every one of us is an artist.
Whatever the expression of our creativity, it is our prayer and praise (Via Creativa/Transformativa).
8) Every one of us is a prophet.
Our prophetic work is to interfere with all forms of injustice and that which interrupts authentic life (Via Transformativa).
9) Diversity is the nature of the Universe.
We rejoice in and courageously honor the rich diversity within the Cosmos and expressed among individuals and across multiple cultures, religions and ancestral traditions.
10) The basic work of God is compassion and we, who are all original blessings and sons and daughters of the Divine, are called to compassion.
We acknowledge our shared interdependence; we rejoice at one another’s joys and grieve at one another’s sorrows and labor to heal the causes of those sorrows.
11) There are many wells of faith and knowledge drawing from one underground river of Divine wisdom.
The practice of honoring, learning and celebrating the wisdom collected from these wells is Deep Ecumenism. We respect and embrace the wisdom and oneness that arises from the diverse wells of all the sacred traditions of the world.
12) Ecological justice is essential for the sustainability of life on Earth.
Ecology is the local expression of cosmology and so we commit to live in light of this value: to pass on the beauty and health of Creation to future generations.
Most of the above is gleaned from ‘Creation Spirituality Communities.’